NAICS Code 54171 Research and Development in the Physical, Engineering, and Life Sciences
IndustryProfessional, Scientific, and Technical Services
DescriptionThis industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in conducting research and experimental development in the physical, engineering, and life sciences, such as agriculture, electronics, environmental, biology, botany, biotechnology, computers, chemistry, food, fisheries, forests, geology, health, mathematics, medicine, nanotechnology, oceanography, pharmacy, physics, veterinary, and other allied subjects.
Cross ReferencesEstablishments primarily engaged in
- Providing veterinary testing services: classified in Industry 54194, Veterinary Services;
- Providing medical laboratory testing for humans: classified in Industry 62151, Medical and Diagnostic Laboratories
- Providing physical, chemical, or other analytical testing services (except medical or veterinary), such as acoustics or vibration testing, calibration testing, electrical and electronic testing, geotechnical testing, mechanical testing, nondestructive testing, or thermal testing: classified in Industry 54138, Testing Laboratories;
- Manufacturing products (e.g., apparel, electronic equipment, automotive equipment) using nanomaterials: classified in Sector 31-33, Manufacturing, according to the process of the specific product made
- Manufacturing vaccines, toxoids, blood fractions, and culture media of plant or animal origin (except diagnostic use) and/or uncompounded medicinal chemicals and their derivatives (i.e., enzyme proteins and antibiotics for pharmaceutical use): classified in Industry 32541, Pharmaceutical and Medicine Manufacturing.