What Is An Establishment In The SIC Code System?
For purposes of this Standard Industrial Classification, an establishment is an economic unit, generally at a single physical location, where business is conducted or where services or industrial operations are performed. (For example: a factory, mill, store, hotel, movie theater, mine, farm, ranch, bank, railroad depot, airline terminal, sales office, warehouse, or central administrative office.) Where distinct and separate economic activities are performed at a single physical location (such as construction activities operated out of the same physical location as a lumber yard), each activity should be treated as a separate establishment where:
- No one industry description in the classification includes such combined activities;
- The employment in each such economic activity is significant; and
- Separate reports can be prepared on the number of employees, their wages and salaries, sales or receipts, and other types of establishment data.
- Directly responsible for supervising such activities, or
- The base from which personnel operate to carry out these activities.