This major group includes establishments engaged in performing any of the following operations:
(1) preparation of fiber and subsequent manufacturing of yarn, thread, braids, twine, and cordage
(2) manufacturing broadwoven fabrics, narrow woven fabrics, knit fabrics, and carpets and rugs from yarn
(3) dyeing and finishing fiber, yarn, fabrics, and knit apparel
(4) coating, waterproofing, or otherwise treating fabrics
(5) the integrated manufacture of knit apparel and other finished articles from yarn
(6) the manufacture of felt goods, lace goods, non-woven fabrics, and miscellaneous textiles
This classification makes no distinction between the two types of organizations which operate in the textile industry:
(1) the integrated mill which purchases materials, produces textiles and related articles within the establishment, and sells the finished products
(2) the contract or commission mill which processes materials owned by others.
Converters or other nonmanufacturing establishments which assign materials to contract mills for processing, other than knitting, are classified in nonmanufacturing industries; establishments which assign yarns to outside contractors or commission knitters for the production of knit products are classified in Industry Group 225.