NAICS Code 31161 Animal Slaughtering and Processing
DescriptionThis industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in one or more of the following: (1) slaughtering animals; (2) preparing processed meats and meat byproducts; and (3) rendering and/or refining animal fat, bones, and meat scraps. This industry includes establishments primarily engaged in assembly cutting and packing of meats (i.e., boxed meats) from purchased carcasses.
Cross ReferencesEstablishments primarily engaged in
- Manufacturing canned meat for baby food: classified in Industry 31142, Fruit and Vegetable Canning, Pickling, and Drying
- Manufacturing meat-based animal feeds from carcasses: classified in Industry 31111, Animal Food Manufacturing
- Blending purchased animal fats with vegetable fats: classified in Industry 31122, Starch and Vegetable Fats and Oils Manufacturing
- Manufacturing canned and frozen specialty foods containing meat, such as nationality foods (e.g., enchiladas, pizza, egg rolls) and frozen dinners: classified in Industry Group 3114, Fruit and VegetablePreserving and Specialty Food Manufacturing
- Drying, freezing, or breaking eggs: classified in Industry 31199, All Other Food Manufacturing
- Cutting meat (except boxed meat): classified in Industry 42447, Meat and Meat Product Merchant Wholesalers.